Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Sunset in Bangkok

As I write this, the sun is setting in front of me on the landing strip at Bangkok International Airport. I found one of those "free internet" kiosks - the ones where you don't look up your bank account information, but you do check your Facebook. Go figure. Anyway, I've been here since 3 or 4pm Bangkok time, and my flight leaves at 10:40pm Bangkok time, which is in less than four hours. I have four currencies in my wallet (but not much of any of them) and I've been awake since 5am. This will be flight number three out of four. It's a bit bewildering.

As I sit here, I find myself feeling like I've crossed over into the "Stateside" side of this trip again. If you've followed my blog for long, you know that before I arrived in Chiang Mai, I titled my posts "Stateside Update" and a number. At this point (hours but not countries removed from Chiang Mai), I feel like I've somehow ended up back at "Stateside." The irony of this is that almost everything in my life comes full circle again. However, the truth is that even though I feel like I've returned to the beginning, I am definitely not the same person I was when I began.

For one, I am intimately more aware of (even if I don't understand completely) the norms of Thai culture. I noticed this significantly when I arrived in Hong Kong for a five-day mini-vacation with my friend Michelle. Let's just say that Thai people are friendly, accomodating, and try not to walk in front of other people. Hong Kong people? Not so much. Even though I had been to Hong Kong in 2012, it was a different experience visiting after three months in Thailand.

In addition, I gained the mentorship and friendship of many amazing people from all over the US and the world while I was serving in Chiang Mai. I also fell in love with 66+ teenagers, who just happen to be some of the greatest kids ever. I don't have favorites, but if I did, they would top my list.

There are many more realizations soon to be made regarding this trip, but I think time is needed to process them. I may feel as if I have already made it back to "Stateside," but I am actually over twelve hours from arriving back in the states. It's okay, though, because God is good, and he gives us time and jet lag and airplane flights in order to begin to grieve the loss of one culture and role while we come to accept another culture and role.

One thing I learned while I was in Chiang Mai is that physical and emotional distance provides clarity and objectivity. I prayed that distance from the states would provide clarity, and now I pray that distance from my three months in Chiang Mai would provide clarity. By this, I mean that I desire to look back and see God at work in my life during that time. I want to be able to trace, even minutely, growth and changes and memorable moments. God is good, and He is working all things together for good.

More to come,


--






"Seek Him. Be Here. Be His."

No comments:

Post a Comment