Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Kuhn phuut pasaa Thai dai mai khaa?

(Do you speak Thai?) And the answer to that would be "Mai chai khaa" (No), but I am learning!

Other than basic "hello" and "how are you" and my numbers, I know some words to describe food (for example, "tawt" means "fried" and "gai" means "chicken") and to buy things ("tao ri" means "how much [money]").

And even though school is taught entirely in English, with the exception of Thai and Spanish classes, I'm learning a lot about pasaa Thai (Thai language) and other languages while I'm here. So, story time!

When I asked a group of senior boys if they were going to read Frankenstein (as opposed to working on another assignment) during their work day today, one of them immediately responded "Miss W, mai ow" (which means "don't want").  I had to laugh at that one! I usually hear "mai ow" in situations where you are thinking about buying something (or someone is asking if you would like to buy something), and you tell them "no thanks" (Mai ow, kawp kuhn khaa).   

A group of my Korean students taught me "thank you" in Korean today. When sounded out it is like: "Kham-sa-ham-nii-da," but they say it fast to me. I hope I can use khamsahamniida8 when I fly back through Korea to get home.

One of my half-Thai students was sharing about a surgery he had when he was younger. He said that leading up to the surgery, he was afraid he would lose his leg, and I was like "wow, I didn't know that!" I wanted to talk with him his leg problems. Then he said that it was a surgery on his kidney, and that the Thai word for kidney is "Thigh," so he thought it was his leg, not his kidney, because he was still learning both languages. I thought that was very funny.

Most of my students are, in some way or another,, bilingual or trilingual. I am consistently impressed by them, and encouraged to keep going and keep pressing on when I see them. When one of my Korean students gives directions to the Thai children in Thai on ministry day, when one of my students shares his testimony, when one of my ELL students finally finds a book he loves, when one of my Thai students nurses my dying plant to life, when six of my students effectively lead their class and represent their class to student council... I am so impressed and so blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment