Sunday, January 5, 2014

I'm Here!!

This morning at about 8am, I arrived in the Chiang Mai airport after a 15 hour flight, a 4 hour layover, a 6 hour flight, a 6 hour layover, and a one hour flight. Basically, I've been awake for a very long time. Granted, I napped in the Bangkok airport, but it just isn't the same as an actual night's rest.

I'm spending my first week in Thailand with three ladies who all teach at Grace. Christine, a fifth grade teacher, picked me up from the airport this morning with her roommate Zoe's car and, after I showered, took me grocery shopping at the Big C Supermarket. And let me tell you, that place is huge. I had quite a bit of trouble navigating the aisles (even though Christine was pushing the cart), figuring out prices (even though I know 30 Baht is 1 USD), and speaking with the guy working the cash register (I had no confidence when it came to counting out baht or saying "Kope Khun Khaa" = "Thank You").

When my roommates Cara and Becky arrive and our duplex is ready, we'll move into our home for the next 3-4 months. Already, I'm having difficulty in Christine's house with the water heater box and air conditioning box, both on the walls, the sliding gate in the front yard, and the undrinkable water that comes out of the faucets. Oh, and did I mention they drive on the other side of the road? I consistently try to get into Zoe's car on the wrong side every time.

Welcome to culture shock. It kindof hit me in the face that things are done differently here all of a sudden. I feel like I had not done enough research on Chiang Mai before coming here. All I know how to say is "Thank you" and "Hello," and I haven't actually said those to real Thai people yet out of nervousness and the feeling that I'm going to pronounce every letter wrong.

And you know what? Maybe it's okay to be knocked a bit helter-skelter sometimes, to face difficulties and to have to rely on other people, to not have it all together. Maybe that's okay. It will take time, just like everything else does, to adjust to bahts and motorbikes and the weather.

Speaking of which, it is currently in the 70s, and I'm wearing shorts, a short sleeved shirt, and Chacos. I just rode on the back of Christine's motorcycle from her house to this cute little outdoor open-air coffeeshop with water fountains, antique-looking chairs, and wifi. I'm sipping a mango smoothie and making comments about how cute this place is.

Deep thought for the day: Not all new things are difficult, and not all difficulties are new.
I'm looking forward to meeting my students tomorrow!
Stay tuned for pictures of the adventures.

Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment