Monday, November 11, 2013

Stateside Update 11: Someone's Been Prayin'

Dear Friends,

For the past few days, I have been extremely nervous and anxious about heading to Thailand in approximately 53 days. I have been so worried about plane tickets, visa applications, finances... And I can't even speak a word of Thai. (Well, I take that back. I know how to say one word: Sa-was-dee-kah, which is "hello.")

I'm especially anxious because I am nearing the end of a busy semester and I still have so much more to do: lesson plans, papers, recitations, work duties, classes, observation hours, chapels, etc.

However, I have good news tonight! First, I received emails back from staff members at the school where I will be student teaching and they requested information and provided information that I needed, specifically a letter for my Thai visa application! I have been waiting for this letter for a very long time and I am blessed beyond blessed to receive it today. As the title of this post says, someone must have been praying for me during this time, because my fears about receiving and resubmitting the visa letter have been assuaged.

Second in the realm of good news is that this afternoon I finished my big lesson plan that I will be teaching this coming Wednesday to a class of 9th graders. This is extremely exciting and I'm blessed to have the opportunity to work with these students hands-on and in person as extra practice and preparation for my future teaching career. The lesson is a tiered lesson, which means I'm dividing the class into groups for the purpose of differentiation. I am placing class members into four teams, each honing in on one of the three learning styles: auditory, visual, and, for two groups, kinesthetic. It's finished as of this afternoon and I am so grateful to have it completed.

Speaking of differentiation, which is a popular buzz-word in the educational field nowadays, I want to talk for a brief minute about student teaching overseas versus in the states. Someone asked me recently to consider what it would be like if I had decided to stay in the states for my student teaching. "Wouldn't it be so much easier?" they asked. Well, yes, probably easier, I thought, but also not as rewarding.
I was a little bit taken aback at their question. I mean, humans typically don't choose to do something challenging because they feel like it. We do difficult things because we believe they are best, because the end result is worth it. If you put more work into something, you usually receive more out of it.
Anyway, I am reminded tonight as I thank the Lord for his provision that the more difficult work I am putting into student teaching overseas (versus the work I would put in if I were student teaching in the states) will produce a greater reward in the end. I will have the opportunity to love on precious students, like Third Culture Kids. I will have the opportunity of a horizon-broadening travel experience. I will see what education looks like in another country. I will meet a lot of new people and see a lot of exciting places. I will see God's hand at work in Asia.

The cool part about choosing to complete my student teaching overseas is that it is a form of differentiation. I have friends who are putting their whole hearts into student teaching at the public school in this town. We need people to do that. But we also need people willing and planning to go overseas, even if just for a semester, even if for several years. No choice is arbitrarily better than any other, but I know I am called to go to Asia for this experience. Differentiation is good, my friends: God doesn't want all his sheep in one pasture... Or all the learners only learning visually, for example.


Thank you for reading. Have any thoughts to share? Comment below.
If you are interested in giving financially or in kind towards my student teaching trip, please check out my support page.

--





"Seek Him. Be Here. Be His."

No comments:

Post a Comment