Thursday, February 13, 2014

Two Weeks Full-Time and SEW

I have had a wonderful past couple of weeks with my amazing ninth and twelfth graders. On most days, I have a first period study hall, second and third period planning, fourth period English 9, fifth period British Literature, sixth period English 9, lunch, English 9 again, and then planning eighth period. Wednesdays and Thursdays, we have block scheduling, in which I see all of my classes over those two days for a longer period.

As of today, I have finished two weeks of full-time teaching, with four to go. I'm also halfway through my 13 weeks here. Professionally, the lesson I have learned most significantly so far is to connect what we're reading to my students' lives. They probably do not care a lick about The Odyssey, but they do have ideas about leadership, heroes, foretelling and changing the future, and the meaning of home. So, instead of reading the text because it is in the curriculum, we are reading the text for the themes and important issues.

In my personal life, I have learned that these kids have my heart. I have completely fallen in love with my students. They are so intelligent, funny, and caring. They are brave, wise, and willing. There's something about Third Culture Kids that melts my heart, and these kids have shown me what being a TCK is all about. They have shown me both the joys and pains of their often very transient lifestyles. They have welcomed me in to their lives in a way I could never expect them to. I am grateful and blessed.

One of the reasons I am so emotional about this is because we just finished Spiritual Emphasis Week at GIS. This week, we had chapels Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday mornings and evenings, with Wednesday night chapel being fireside worship and testimony time. Two of my students shared very powerful and God-honoring testimonies. Thursday (today), we spent the day in ministry across Chiang Mai. I went with most of the ninth graders to Srisuphan Elementary School, a very small school that serves mostly children from the hill villages of Nothern Thailand. There were three classrooms and little wooden chairs and desks in each classroom. We had groups for English teaching, games, and crafts. I was blessed to be able to sneak a peek into all three groups as the day went on. I got lots of pictures, some of which I'll be able to post to my Facebook soon (see here).

One funny story from the day: The English group taught the kids to play "Simon Says" with English vocabulary they had just learned. The kids were having trouble understanding the concept, even though one of my students  (Joseph) was explaining the directions in Thai, so Joseph took another approach to explaining it, still in Thai, and everyone laughed. When one of my students realized I hadn't caught the joke, he leaned over and explained that Joseph had just said, "We'll call it 'Joseph Says.' My name is Joseph, but you can call me the Handsome One. So, when 'The Handsome One says....'" I laughed so much today, just soaking in the joy of my students as they interacted with these young Thai kids. My students impress and encourage me every day. They are also so very gracious. What a blessing.

When news about the court case between GIS and the people who own the property reached me last year, I was very worried that I would end up teaching in a basement somewhere with no technology. However, that is not the case. We have a simply gorgeous property, and all the rooms have air conditioning units. I am so amazed by how God provides for these teachers and families, many of whom are missionaries or other kinds of international workers. God is good.

Until next time,
--





"Seek Him. Be Here. Be His."

No comments:

Post a Comment